We're Moving!

We're moving our content to a new website! Join us at our new location:
--> Dream Zoo Home <--

PhoneGameGuides: Dream Zoo By Zynga

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dream Zoo, The Best Animal Revisited


Lately I've been rethinking my thoughts on the absolutely best animal to breed. I'm talking about farm breeding, as in you build a lot of one type of animal, and farm them for coins.

I used to think that the best animal was the one with a coin collection cooldown that matches your ability to actually collect it. For example, if you can take 5 mins to collect coins every 2 hours, then the best type of animal will be an animal with a coin collection cooldown of 2 hours. This approach seem to be true if you're collecting over a 24 hour period...nonstop. However, in real life, we do tend to do some weird activities, like eat, sleep, drive, etc., so a 24 hour period isn't really realistic.

Lets instead take a typical 24 hour period and take out some of the time we need to do some activities. Lets say 8 hours for sleep, 2 hours for work related activities, like dressing, showering, commuting, and an additional 2 hours for miscellaneous activities. That leaves us with a 12 hour window to collect coins.

If you go to the Dream Zoo Coin Collection Timers, you will see on the right side of the spreadsheet has amounts for such a collection schedule.

So, We want to make best use of our time away from Dream Zoo, so what we need is get the animals to work for us during our off hours.

The answer popped out of the spreadsheet was the Rhino from the Plains Habitat, that is the best animal to build purely for coins. One good side effect of breeding a Rhino farm is that:
  1. Rhinos are relatively cheap to raise to champion, I'm guessing about 20k per Champion.
  2. Rhinos Champions uses less hearts than high level habitats to breed.
  3. Rhinos are a lot faster to breed than animals from other habitats. 
  4. Bonus Habitat Space is very cheap
  5. You can start building your farm at a very low level
  6. Don't need to buy any expansion land to get a profitable farm going
  7. You are initially given a few Bonus Habitat Space already
  8. You will only have to collect twice a day and make more than any other animal using the correct stragety
The only downside of having a Rhino farm is that it gives very low Experience Points per animal. Since you're only collecting twice a day, that's really very low XP for the number of animals you have.

I would suggest you Breed some Rhinos, use the correct strategies (i will post one for newbies) to collect coins, and then start adding other animals. I got my first million coins at about level 12 using the bonus coin collection strategy, which means I can use all the coins I wanted going on safari and fixing flat tires only with coins, thus saving all my precious hearts for Animal Breeding.

So there you have it, the Absolutely Best Animal for Dream Zoo (with caveats): Rhino from Wild Plains Habitat.

If however, you don't need to sleep and you can collect every hour or two, then the Best animal(s) for you  are the Parrot and Orangutan from Wild Tropical Habitat, Aardvark or Honey Badger from Wild Grassland, Python form Wild Jungle, or the Ibex from Wild Mountain Habitat.

11 comments:

  1. Hello Syd:

    I agree with your conclusion, farming Rhinos was how I managed to keep up with rising upgrade costs, maxing expansions and paying for safaris to complete quests and level faster. I'm level 55 already and with the recent undervaluing of coins, I've been using my Rhino surplus to farm hearts through safaris.

    I have a 10 Rhino farm, with a 2000% bonus zone (with 2 open spaces to collect the coins faster) and make ~3M a day on 2 collections only! Check it out: OPWMDS.

    z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a modest rhino operation going at my current level 40. I was collecting about 80k per ''family". Yesterday after getting the app update, I painstakingly made space for adding bonus habitats, but every time I added it showed a red bonus coin amount of zero and topped me out at 53,687. No matter the configuration, it's blocking me from making more than this amount on rhinos!! I'm now using my extra space to breed more rhinos...but I'm wondering, did they change this in the upgrade? Has it happened to anyone else?
    Z- I added you as a neighbor last night and checked out your zoo. I'm "fun zoo", as named by my 5 yr old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about the update, I've yet to do it :) I'll do it today and see what's up.

      Also, I did get your friend invite, unfortunately, my game crashed and when I reloaded, the invite was gone from the inbox. I posted a bug report on zynga.com

      Delete
    2. You're right about the bonus, now the maximum allowed is 250% bonus.

      Delete
    3. Post your zoo code, I'll try to add it from my side

      Delete
  3. What a BUMMER on the max. Thanks for the info, thought I was doing something wrong.
    Anne (UFBMZD)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am refraining from upgrading to avoid this change. Using the older version, I am still getting a bonus greater than 250%. It appears that the bonus cap is controlled entirely on the client side, so as long as you don't upgrade, you can continue to have the old behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be doing something wrong. I have about 20 Rhino families and a bit of empty land by they are only generating about 20k per hit. Should I sell a few families off and replace the space with 60% land ? I'm constantly out of money just trying to keep the breeding going.

    Code: SMYHSL if anyone wants to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably won't be able to visit any zoo because my game keeps crashing and my friends list wont load. If you could post a picture, or a link to the picture, maybe I can see what's going on.

      Delete
    2. How do you collect animals you find on safari?

      Delete
    3. It automatically gets updated in your game. If you 'won' a Rhino, just go to your 'Wild Animal' menu and look for the Rhino you just won to import into your zoo.

      Delete